Spotlight Series on Blueberries
BCAITC is proud to introduce a new agriculture education resource – the downloadable blueberry farm-to-table educational resources. The launch of this toolkit coincides with the delivery of blueberries (and other BC grown ingredients) into 59 BC schools with Culinary Arts programs this month.! This multi-faceted toolkit provides a selection of intermediate/secondary level
The provision of blueberries to the Take a Bite of BC classrooms this October is thanks to the generous donation from, one of North America's largest blueberry growers, buyers, and distributors. This month’s Take a Bite of BC delivery also includes:
- Red Cabbage and Yellow Potatoes (courtesy of BCfresh
- Cranberries (courtesy of
- Mini Peppers and Grape Tomatoes (courtesy of
- Video: Students can learn about blueberry farming in a 10-minute educational video featuring the passionate team at Silver Valley Farms.
- Activity: The curriculum-linked 'A Race Around the Blueberry Bush' game and corresponding lesson plan teach students more about the blueberry farm story.
- Recipes: Students can practise their culinary skills while making delicious blueberry recipes created by BCAITC’s Chef Trevor Randle such as Baked Lemon Pudding with BC Blueberry Compote and BC Blueberry Strudel (pictured below), and BC Berry Crepes with Vanilla Cream.
- Grow BC: Students can explore Grow BC, an interactive GIS map and story resource, to learn about BC blueberries. This resource provides straightforward integration into class curriculum.
*Bee photo credit Carolyn Teasdale. Blueberry photos credit Spring Advertising.