The Great Big Crunch 2020
Save the date! To coincide with this year’s Canadian Agriculture Literacy Month (March 2020), BC Agriculture in the Classroom Foundation (BCAITC) is partnering with organizations across Canada including Agriculture in the Classroom Canada (AITC-C), FoodShare, Fresh Roots, Coalition for Healthy School Food, and Food Secure Canada to bring BC schools and organizations the opportunity to participate in The Great Big Crunch. Schools and organizations all over BC will be crunching at 11:00am on Thursday, March 5, 2020.
The Great Big Crunch is an annual Canadian moment of anti-silence where everyone gets together and bites into crunchy fresh local produce in unison! The symphony is loud as hundreds of thousands of people munch on apples, carrots, or other crunchy produce and celebrate healthy snacking! BC schools and organizations will be crunching on March 5 (with other provinces crunching later in the month).
Participation in The Great Big Crunch promotes agriculture awareness and highlights the availability of fresh fruits or vegetable as the centerpiece for activities related to cooking, nutrition, growing, compositing, sustainability, community, development, and more.
For educators, The Great Big Crunch is a valuable opportunity for teachers to get students excited about nutrition. Whether students participate in a full day of activities, an afternoon, or just one big crunch, they will come away worth an enhanced interest in and understanding of local produce from farm to cafeteria!
Educators and organizations, please pre-register online here to munch with us before crunch day. You can sign up for yourself, your organization, your class, your school, your whole school district! We want count the crunches towards the grand total no matter when you did it or how you crunch. Plus, you can receive a certificate for your crunching to proudly display to everyone!
How to Participate
- Download FoodShare’s free educational activities for The Great Big Crunch online here to connect your crunch to math, science, language arts, and more!
- Purchase crunchy produce (like apples, carrots, or cucumbers), use your BC School Fruit and Vegetable Nutritional Program fruits and veggies, or have a “bring an apple to school/work day” (or other crunchy fruits for veggies) to create a synchronized crunch on March 5.
- Crunch down at 11:00am on March 5! If you need to crunch at a different date or time, that‘s okay too – everything counts!
- BCAITC provides healthy fruits and vegetables and educational resources to schools across BC.
- AITC-C is the national voice of agriculture education.
- FoodShare created The Great Big Crunch project, which has seen over 1.5 million participants since 2008.
- Fresh Roots cultivates engaging gardens and programs that catalyze healthy eating, ecological stewardship, and community celebration.
- Coalition for Healthy School Food advocates for increased investments in school food programs to ensure all kids have access to nutritious meals every day.
- Food Secure Canada is an alliance of organizations and individuals working together to advance food security and food sovereignty.
Spread the Word
Spread the word and share photos, quotes, or stories of your participation in The Great Big Crunch on social media with the hashtag #greatbigcrunch. Please tag BCAITC and FoodShare on social media: