Connecting Students to Agriculture
Back in the spring of 2015, we developed a unique fundraising opportunity for schools that also encourages students and their families to eat more fruits and vegetables. Fresh to You is a fundraising initiative for schools that are currently enrolled in the BC School Fruit & Vegetable Nutritional Program (BCSFVNP). Schools participating in Fresh to You receive bundles of locally grown fresh fruits and vegetables to sell to family and friends as a fundraiser.
Why Fresh to You?
- It promotes healthy food choices to students and their families.
- It provides high-quality, fresh, and seasonal produce for a healthy fundraising option.
- All of the produce is locally grown from BC suppliers, so your school is supporting BC farmers and growers in your community.
- It provides information for students and families about fresh, locally grown vegetables, as well as recipes for enjoying the produce at home.
- Your school receives a 40% profit on all of the bundles sold.
Fall Fundraiser Delivery Schedule
- June 5 to September 21: an online application is available to schools enrolled in the BCSFVNP.
- September 28: acceptance or non-acceptance is communicated by BC Agriculture in the Classroom Foundation (BCAITC).
- September 29 to October 19: your school presells produce bundles.
- October 22: submit orders and payment to BCAITC.
- November 13 to 22: schools receive produce to distribute orders.
- 1 Squash
- 1 Rutabaga
- 2lb bag of Carrots
- 3lb bag of Beets
- 5lb bag of Potatoes
- 10lb bag of Apples
(Note: Final item list and prices may vary slightly.)
Sign Us Up!
Fresh to You Fundraiser is available to all K-12 public schools and K-12 First Nations schools in BC participating in the BC School Fruit & Vegetable Nutritional Program (BCSFVNP).
Fresh to You is offered in the fall of each school year. Schools must apply and re-apply each year by completing and submitting an online application, which is located on your school login. BC Agriculture in the Classroom Foundation (BCAITC) will notify all schools currently enrolled in the BCSFVNP by email, advising coordinators and principals when we are accepting online applications. This is an application only and not confirmation that your school has been accepted into the program. We will advise schools of their acceptance by email and your school login will include the necessary forms and support materials needed to proceed. Participation in Fresh to You is based on our supplier's ability to deliver to your area.
What Do We Need to Get Started?
- Current enrollment in the BCSFVNP.
- A fundraising team and a team coordinator to oversee the program and communicate with the BCAITC representative.
- Your school must order a minimum of 50 bundles in total in order to participate.
- A team of parents, students, and volunteers to unload the orders from the delivery truck, gather the orders for distribution, and arrange to distribute the bundles to students and their families.
- Adequate space and personnel to receive your delivery (the driver of the delivery truck cannot assist in unloading the bundles).
A Crop of Resources!
A successful school fundraiser is all about teamwork and promotion. We're here to help you with both. We’ve put together a promotional package to support your fundraising efforts. These Fresh to You Fundraiser resources include a program poster to download and display in your school, and delivery guidelines and selling scripts for your program organizers.
Good luck with your Fresh to You Fundraiser, and please contact us if you have any questions or ideas about how we can make it even better for schools.
Chef Randle and his Culinary Arts students at Maple Ridge Secondary School have created healthy, delicious recipes using the products in the Fresh to You bundles. Student tested and student approved, they’re sure to be a hit with families. Choose recipes that match your product delivery and print them out to include in your bundles.
Partners Make It Possible – Thank You!
Thank you to all of our partners for their help in creating Fresh to You and offering this unique fundraising opportunity to schools throughout BC.
BC Public Health Dietitians
Distribution and Product Suppliers:
Teachers and Parents Ask the Best Questions
Schools currently enrolled in the BC School Fruit & Vegetable Nutritional Program (BCSFVNP) are eligible to apply for Fresh to You.
As a participant in the fundraiser, schools will be charged a $60 administration fee, payable to BC Agriculture in the Classroom Foundation (BCAITC).
Fresh to You is offered once a year, in the fall.
The product can vary from year to year. In the past, some vegetable bundles have included potatoes, carrots, beets, cabbage, and squash, while others are comprised of a variety of fruits, almost always including apples. Each bundle contains fresh, locally grown produce, offering healthy fresh foods for students and their families.
Your school must sell a minimum of 50 bundles in total in order to participate and receive delivery of your order.
Our primary objective is to buy BC produce, from BC suppliers, through BC wholesalers. Through this process, we support local businesses wherever possible. In some cases, unforeseen crop shortages due to adverse growing conditions may affect delivery, resulting in substitutions from suppliers outside of the province.
Some of the fruit and vegetable snacks we serve are organically grown. Many of them, while not certified organic, are grown utilizing organic practices.
BCAITC supplies re-usable bags that have been donated by BC fresh.
The school receives a 40% profit on all sales, less the $60 administration fee. There’s no limit to how much money a school can make — the amount each school raises depends on how many bundles they sell.